Monday 28 September 2009

Erzincan to Tercan

After yesterdays cold weather I was interested to see what the day would bring. My next major stop is Erzurum where I have to spend at least a day picking up my visa for Iran, but Erzincan it's around 200km which is too far to cycle in mountains in one day. When I set off the thermometer was readıng a balmy 17c! Fantastic! However, when I got the bike on the road and away from the warm building it had been leaning against it soon dropped below 10c, with a biting wind. Ah. On the plus side it was a tail wind so I fairly sailed along.

The first 40 miles of the day were along a beautiful valley carved by quite a large river. Fantastic cycling even if it did occasionally threathen to rain. Unfortunately I didn't get any good photos that really captured the place but I put the one below to give you an idea.


Now, whilst I have the kit to camp overnight in tempratures down to -5c comfortably I also have the start of a snuffling nose and tight chest so discretion being the better part of valour I'm in a hotel at the half way point of this leg. It is good to know that if I need to I can camp but it's better to stop in a cheap and comfy room!

Final 90km to Erzurum tomorrow, I'm hoping it's as beautiful as today. Got around 1500 feet of height to gain which isn't too much and the forecast is for sun. Fingers crossed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home