Sunday 15 December 2013

Nong Khiaow to Pak Mong

Fri 13/12/13, 30km

Sorely tempted though I was to stay another couple of days the weather put me off. According to the forecast there was a front coming in bringing rain and dropping the temperature. We'd had our share of the rain in the nights and misty days but it looked like it was going to get worse so somewhere with museums and indoors stuff was needed, and Luang Prabang should provide that!

The distance is 140km which is quite achievable however I thought I'd spend the morning relaxing and then do 30km to Pak Mong in the afternoon, finishing the journey off the day after.

My exit was a bit delayed by a sharp downpour the minute I checked out of my room. Cindy and Dave returned soon after (I was sheltering under the porch): they'd set off on an little local ride, been caught in the storm and come back.

I delayed further by stopping at Delilah's, a travellers cafe that promised good coffee and chocolate banana cake. As I was leaving the owner, Hamish, also promised some information on the road ahead that had been left by some previous cyclists. Alas, it was not to be found.

I finally set off in mostly dry conditions. The road to Pak Mong was in generally good condition, mostly along the flat.

Pak Mong itself? Forget it. Three guesthouses, one (Alan) full of Chinese engineers, one a real dive and one an overpriced not so dive (100000 kip). I went for this last one, showered (see, not so much of a dive), grabbed food and beer and an early night.

With hindsight I'd recommend not stopping at Pak Mong, either doing the whole 140km in one go or chancing it in one of the two guesthouse that I passed the next day 10km further on.

The photos are of Dave and Cindy, trying to leave and charming little Pak Mong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home