Wednesday 4 December 2013

Rest day in Son La

With no breakfast in my hotel I was forced to forage, turning up a variety of local donuts as a result... I think I'm in need of feeding up a bit, still feeling hungry all the time.

Anyway, read a little of my 2009 Rough Guide which indicated the next stretch included "Pha Din pass, one of the highest in the North". Aye aye thought I, one of the highest passes? A little internet search turned up all sorts of tidbits on Pha Din including 32km long and 1600m high (although other sources indicated 1000m). With my body screaming for food and my legs hurting going up a flight of stairs, sod it, time for a rest day.

I switched hotels to the Trade Union hotel (same price, much nicer) and spent the day ambling about Son La which is a lovely little town to take a day off relaxing in. Tried, and failed, to find some caves, went up to a viewpoint, went round the museum (has not bad prehistoric and ethnographic sections), ate food that wasn't tofu and rice (pizza since you ask and of such quality I wanted my tofu and rice back) and generally chilled! 

The photos are of my room in the Trade Union hotel and the town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home