Friday 17 January 2014

Champasak to Si Pha Don (4000 Islands)

Weds 08/01/14, 117km


A quick breakfast and on the road early in case the bottom bracket seizes up on the days ride. Well, I say "on the road" actually it was on a ferry across the Mekong for around 7AM. That last might make you think "Ferry, 'cross the Mersey" but at the time I had Madness's "Night boat to Cairo". Go figure, I've been uncertain if I'm following the Nile or the Mekong for a while now, particularly in the midday sun. 

Once I'd worked out what river I was on and stopped worrying about the bottom bracket I slipped into a nice mediative fugue state as I got into the days ride. This made the miles melt away until towards the end of the run when I met up with a French cross continental cyclist. We cycled together for a few kilometres until I turned off for Don Khong, one of the biggest of the Si Pha Don (4000 islands). These are a chain of islands that form a cataract in the Mekong that prevent the river being navigable all the way up to China. Whether or not there are 4000 islands depends very much on the season of course.

A quick ferry across the Mekong again and I was on Don Khong one of the largest of the islands. I found a nice room for 60000 kip in Pon's Guesthouse and got ready to chill for a bit.

It's just gone noon, half past monsoon
On the banks of the river Nile... sorry, I mean it's about 7am on the Mekong!
The French cyclist
1, 2, 3... Hang on, didn't I do this routine with the cave of a thousand Buddha's?
And relax

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home