Friday 9 October 2009

Iran (to Trabiz)

First of all, as this cross posts to Facebook, I can let you all know I have fallen into a slight communications black hole. Been told that all phone links to the UK are blocked and can't access Facebook at the moment although that might be a server problem. [Update... it isn't, it's filtered). Blogger and my email works though so (although strangely enough my email doesn't work through yahoo.co.uk) not all communications are down as yet! And I have temporary Facebook access but don't shout about it.

Iran... well what can I say? Crossed the border three days ago which was an interesting experience. Border formalities were quite quick and a bit muddled, leaving me somewhat bemused until I got to chat to a pair of French tourists the next day. More on that later.

First three days here have been good fun. People are hospitable to point where I'm finding it difficult to make the miles I need given my limited visa. Got around 1900km to do in 20 days to get to Shiraz which doesn't give me much sight seeing time. Visa extensions are meant to be fairly easy to get but I really don't want to rely on them so I'm contemplating getting a train at some point to cut a few hundred kilometers off. Yean, I know, boooo to Bill and all that. Still, I'd rather see more places if I can rather than just cycle and spend two days touristing. If I get the visa extension then I'll get the miles in.

Hospitable people... oh my word yes. This nutter matched speed with me for a chat on the road. Can't say too much mind as I then got the camera out and took the photo.



I'm constantly awash with tea and invitations to food abound. Took one invite to tea up and ended up in an impromptu party. This is me and mine host rocking out to Rachid Taha on my iPod speakers.


Reached Trabiz today and was guided in by a couple of students on bikes. Nice guys, wanted me to stay with them but I was feeling too old to stay with some 18 year Iranian students and politely said no. Yes, I realise how ungrateful I'm being etcetera but sometimes a bit of time alone is good. Besides, come on, you all remember student houses, right?

Had one slight problem, a piece has fallen off of my pump rendering it useless. Bit of a worry that as I'm using Presta valued inner tubes rather than Schrader (the ones used on cars). Until about an hour ago all I'd seen here have been Schrader valves on bikes but now I've seen someone with the right valve I know I can a replacement pump. Phew.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tumbleweed said...

Cool post Bill

8:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home