Saturday 3 October 2009

Last leg of Turkey...

Just skooting along the last bit stretch of Turkey now. I'm currently in a small provincial capital by the name of Ağri, one days ride from Doğübazit, final stop before Iran. The last couple of days of riding have been good, including the highest pass so far (I think...) at 2290 meters. Mountain passes and big valleys with the weather a lot warmer than of late. Wonderful. It'll be downhill for a few weeks now I think which is a shame, I'm getting a real taste for mountains!



Anyway, the area I'm in is very much a Kurdish region, where people have been very hospitable. Apart from a couple of times where I've had kids in villages throw stones at me. First time, one kid said 'Hello!' while his pudgy freind decided to bend down and grab a handful of pebbles to throw one at me as I rode pass. Pebbles for Pete's sake! Take a lcuky shot to do anything with them. Second time a pre-teen kid just hurled a rock at me as I passed a village. Both times merited me getting my dog bashing stick out and waving it round my head as I turned the bike back in their direction, causing the desired result of the kids scappering. Job done.

Other than that it's been a very warm welcome with some great hotels...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

just what a man needs after a hard days cycling when he's as stiff as stiff can be....

8:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home