Wednesday 18 December 2013

Pak Ou caves

Weds 18/12/13, 60km

Another day trip planned, this time to see the cave of the 500 Buddhas. Up as usual at dawn, ready to break my fast and head off. However the guest house owner has other ideas and wants me to move room first. Hmm. OK...

So, somewhat delayed it was on the road north. Another easy one to find, just head up Highway 13 until you see the sign for the caves and take the turning. I didn't use Highway 13 all the way, you can shadow it for a bit.

The road from the turn off is a dirt track but a nice cycle. After 10km I came to Pak Out village where it was time to park the bike (5000kip!) and get a boat across the Mekong (13000kip return in a shared boat, 25000 on a private boat). Now, the Mekong is pretty damn swollen after the recent rains so getting through the stream of debris was a little tense (there were trees in there!) but we made it with ease.

The caves are worth a poke about, I didn't count the Buddha's but I'll believe 500 is a good figure (saw elsewhere 1000 but I think that may just be Buddha inflation). I still want to know what the collective noun for Buddha's is.

So, a good day out followed by some planning for upcoming days, pizza and a beer and blogging before bed. Tomorrow I ride!

Looking a bit chocolatey but I don't see any Oompah Lumpahs
1,2,3...
321, 322, 323...
Four hundred and hang on! That's a Ganesha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home