Thursday 25 February 2010

David Banks I presume?



I arrived in Kuala Lumpur quite tired from the days travelling from India. Not because it was particularly arduous more only getting a couple of hours sleep. Ah well. All I had to do was get my over boxed bike from the airport to the city. Taxi! What, £40? F...orget about that! Stuffed it onto a bus for £1.60 instead and humped it to a local taxi rank. Well, started to then remembered that Malaysia is pretty down on things like that and decided to carry it instead.

The plan was to spend a day and half in KL then head northwards but unfortunately a dodgy stomach intervened, turning this into a four day wait. I used the time to apply for a couple of jobs and organise various things. On the last evening, I got an email from an old colleague, Dave Morten, who I'd asked for a LinkedIn recommendation. In my previous email I'd mentioned that I couldn't get in touch with my old manager, Dave Banks, which was a shame. Oh, and that I was in KL. In the email Dave M passed on a contact number for Banksie who is now in KL teaching English... :o

Forty minutes later we were meeting for beers and catching up. Great fun! At the same bar was another guy I noticed, from years back in Stafford. Damned if I could put a name to him at the time. Asked him if he was from Stafford, and he said yes, then I named the people I knew he knew. Nope to all of them. His name came back to me later, I'm sure it was Aiden. Make of that what you will.

Anyway, here's to old friends, may we continue to bump into them randomly! Although hopefully somewhere with cheaper beer than Malaysia...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home