Thursday 18 March 2010

Chumphon to Kanchanburi

When I last posted I mentioned the cyclists I'd been meeting of late, almost all of whom had been going the other way. Well, when I reached Chumphon I did meet one chap heading northwards but as I there to head out to Koh Tao for a couple of days diving I didn't think of teaming up at first. Then on reflection I decided that I'd rather get more cycling in than go diving and we did indeed join together for a few days.

So, Dillon is the fellows name, an American from Minnesota touring SE Asia by bike for a few months. As ever when there's another cyclist there we made good time on the road. Well, when we were on the road. Dillon had a couple of punctures, a bee stung his lower eyelid allowing me to use my Swiss Amry Penknife to remove the barbed sting (OK, OK, it was only the tweezers). Oh and I got a stick in my rear wheel. All on the first day. Still, as I say, we made good time when we cycled.



Also managed to find some nice beachside places to stop off in for the first couple of days. Nothing quite like a dip in the sea after a long days cycle and puncture repairing (yep, the punctures continued for a second day).



Another nice seaside halt and then we were looking at what we'd do the next day. Dillon was heading to Bangkok whilst I'm planning to skirt round it for now. We'd ended the day in a place by the name of Prachuap Khiri Khan, a pleasant little seaside resort, so we were looking maybe hitting Hua Hin or Cha Am the next day. Hua Hin is around 100 Km away, Cha Am 130 km or so. Plan was to reach Hua Hin then decide. However the wind was suddenly with us! From days of sapping headwinds suddenly we caught a beauty of a tailwind and sailed past both of these places to end up in Phetchaburi, a not too touristy place of wats and old teak buildings, some 162 km from where we'd set out. And we covered that in six hours fifteen minutes of actual cycling time. w00t as I believe the youth of yesteryear used to say.

This, however, meant that our ways parted a day sooner than expected although we still had 35km to go before they did. And we'd have done it if Dillon hadn't had an accident in a Thai bar involving a bottle of whisky. As it was I set out on my own and had another long day, this time with mixed wind and a torrential downpour on the way. Luckily there was a cowboy bar (of course) for me to shelter in for half an hour.



I leave you a shot of what happens when bees attack. Dillon, great cycling with you man!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home