Saturday 13 March 2010

Fellow travellers

Heading northwards up Thailand and for the first time in months I'm starting to meet fellow cycle tourists again! In fact, I'm meeting them at a rate of more than one a day. Interestingly, for almost all of them I'm the first cyclist they've met in days, but then it does seem that the flow of traffic is heading south. Hmm. Wonder if there's a reason for that?

Anyway, a few pics are in order. First up, Tim, a Brit. He's cycling pretty much the reverse of my route. Met him on the road between Krabi and Khao Lak.



Next day I met Silvia, an American lady on a recumbent bike named Myrtle the Turtle, on the road north of Khao Lak.



Later that same day an English couple, Jan and John, ended up staying in my guest house in Kura Buri. They lived in Wigan and by golly, John had the accent! They must have been in their 60s but they were still out there cycling. Probably a good job they met me, as when we had a quick chat I discovered that their visas ran out in two days time, which was news to them! Luckily they were heading to Ranong the next day, as was I, which is a place to do a visa run over to Burma and back. I went to sleep hearing Jan explain to John why this was a good idea (the 500 baht a day fine for visa overstays for example) and John in broad Wigan accent not really getting it. No pics unfortunately.

The next day, yesterday, brought a bumper crop! First was some chaps cycling with a local outfit and support van. They kindly gave me ice cold water and shared their snacks with me.



Then a few minutes later I bumped into a couple of English gap year students who'd been making their way round the world mostly by bike. Er, thingy and Fin. Turns out I'd missed meeting them in Agra when I met a cyclist there: he was changing money whilst they were in their guest house. Small world.



And lastly I've met an American by the name of Dillon who's cycling the same way as me for a few days. No photos as yet but we are hooking up for the next 500km or so of cycling. Hopefully.

2 Comments:

Blogger Frieda said...

Hey Bill,
it's incredible to see how far you have come since we met in Istanbul (remember the couple from Romania/Germany?!). I enjoy reading about your adventures a lot!
Take care,
Frieda

4:34 pm  
Blogger Bill said...

Thanks Frieda!

Only got another three weeks of SE Asia left then it'll back to the UK I'm sorry to say. A few days in London then the last cycle back up to Manchester.

Best make the most of it while I can!

12:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home