Saturday 18 January 2014

Si Pha Don to Stung Treng

Mon 13/01/14, 87km

All good things must come to an end and eventually I managed to drag myself away from the islands.

Simple enough, 20000 kip for a boat back across the Mekong for my bike and I (sailing times 6:30, 8 and 11) then a few kilometres to the border including a diversion to Khone Pha Phang (30000 kip) the largest waterfalls in SE Asia (presumably in volume). Some momentary confusion at the border as the brand spanking new buildings aren't in use yet and you still have to go to old huts.

Despite all the horror stories I'd heard crossing on a bike was easy enough albeit with "stamping fees": $2 to exit Laos and $5 (on top of the $20 visa fee) to enter Cambodia. I paid with a false smile plastered to my face and hey presto I was in Cambodia with 55km to go to the town of Stung Treng.

The road was good and it seems as if a variety of dwellings are in the process of being set up along it, mostly shacks for now but with bigger sturdy wooden framed house in the process of being erected.

Once I got to Stung Treng I treated myself to an $8 room at the Riverside Guesthouse (paying $2 more for a room with an external window), picked up a Cambodian SIM card, ate drank slept.

This picture just does not do justice to the volume and force of the water
View over river at Stung Treng (best enjoyed whilT drinking a fresh jelly coconut)
New country, new beer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home