Monday 24 March 2014

Hua Hin to Prachuap Khiri Khan

Mon 03/02/14, 125km

Back on highway 4 to start the day but I soon got to turn off onto a side road, the 1019 towards Pranburi Forest Park which meant the rest of the morning was spent going through scenic and relatively untouristed areas. Well, compared to Hua Hin anyway. A lot of pineapples being grown here, with limestone karsts looming in the background.

As I approached the Khao Sam Roi Got national park the karsts became a ridge of hills with the road at the foot of them. Once through the area of the park it was a landscape of shrimp farms. It was around here I encountered another cycle tourist heading north.

My route dropped me back on highway 4 briefly and no sooner was I on it than a group of occidental cyclists on road bikes went by. We exchanged pleasantries and they waved me down a few minutes later when they were stopped for a break with their support truck. Spice Trails Tours, doing a run from Bangkok to Phuket. They filled my water bottle, have me fruit and a coke and I was on my way. Similar thing happened to me in 2010 with another Spice Trails group.

Back off the highway then and towards my destination. Incidentally other tour groups exist including Grass Hopper Tours, who I encountered on the way into town. And a German company who I didn't get the name of who passed me a few minutes after that (caught up with them later, all bar one were very surly and were hard pressed to even acknowledge my presence). Blimey, no cyclists for ages and then a day of them!

On finding a hotel I went to the beach to chill for a bit, although you have to go through an air force base to access it. Which was different.

Just leaving the national park area
On the edge of town
Spice Trails group whizzing past me as stop to take a photo and look at my guide book
Now the Grasshopper group.
View from the hotel window

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home